As each day passes, I come to believe more and more that the United States of America is the greatest nation ever conceived by man. The guiding principle of ‘liberty and freedom for all’ speaks of hope to people all over the world. As Americans, we also have the coolest flag – for it is full, rich, and colorful – the perfect symbol of that hope.
The Run for the Flag is a 260 mile run in honor of those people who have championed the American Spirit. The Run for the Flag has along its course 260 American flags decorated with the faces and stories of some of those great Americans on each flag. These honorees are representing our beneficiaries from the House of Heroes, Make A Wish – Georgia, and Camp Abilities. Please join me in saluting these great Americans and the American flag, our symbol of freedom and hope, with this year’s Run Across Georgia 2016!
- Route – race starts in Savannah at Grainger Nissan, follows a similar path to previous years, finishes in same location in Uptown Columbus.
- The route will be marked with Old Glory rather than directional signs. In the event that you think you are off course, you will be able to check your location in reference to the route using the mapmyrun.com app.
- Raffle – starting April 1st we will add a raffle to win a car as an additional fundraising tool.
- Air Conditioning – we plan to enclose the route in a giant bubble to allow optimal temperature, 60 degrees, and optimal humidity, 30% percent.
- Social Media – If the need presents to quench your thirst for Run Across Georgia knowledge, then drink in as much info as you want from:
Website – www.runacrossgeorgia.com
Facebook – facebook.com/runacrossgeorgia
Twitter – @runacrossga
Instagram – @runacrossgeorgia
- Start times – we will still have a 4:00am, 6:00am and 8:00am start times but we will add the option to start early so your team can complete the run in one continuous effort without having to double up runners.
- Manned transitions – most of the transitions will not be manned. Teams will be on the honor code to transition properly and to communicate their transition to “Race Command”.
- There will be only one event shirt. Individual participants will receive 2 extra shirts. Each relay team will receive 4 extra shirts. The extra shirts are for friends, family and crew. Additional shirts can be purchased for $15.00 each.
- Wind – the prevailing wind has agreed to change from west towards east to east towards west during the race week. This took a little negotiating with Mother Nature on our part, but keeping the wind at your back seemed like something you would like us to negotiate with Mother Nature about. What can we say? We love our runners and bikers!
- Trophies – there will not be any trophies for category winners. We are simplifying this year’s event, as we want to raise as much money as possible for our charities. Simply put, the less we spend, the more we give.
- Directional Signs – Teams, runners, and crew will be responsible to follow the route with map, directions, or the race app.
- Smelly runners and bikers – With the wind at your back and near perfect temperatures, we can almost guarantee that no one will become smelly during the event.
Thank you for your support!